Mary is having a marvelous time at work! Love the job, love everything I get to do there! There are only two bad things, and I would appreciate your prayers about both of them: one is that the work is really starting to take a toll on my body. I'm often terribly sore, really fatigued, and I feel like I'm getting permanent foot damage from my shoes...who'd a thunk being a princess was such hard work! My two days off each week offer sufficient time to recover, but then I start right back to work without having accomplished much. The leads to the second issue: scheduling has been a little crazy lately. Since the start of the summer season on July 4, I have been working lots of night shifts, which is means I don't get to spend nearly as much time with the hubby. When we do have time together, one or both of us is tired out, and it's hard to go out at all. But this is our time in Paris, a precious time, so we don't want to feel this way!
Andrew has finally begun with his French class through the Sorbonne University, and he is really enjoying it. He really likes the teacher, a very stereotypical, older French woman, and everyone in the class is very nice as well. His French is really starting to come along! He had a short go at a job preparing desserts in a French kitchen, but for various reasons, it became obvious in about 3 weeks that this job was not working out, and he is now searching for other employment. Even with the schooling, Andrew still spends a lot of time alone because I usually leave for work just a couple hours before he comes home. Please pray that our schedules will be able to worked out in a more harmonic manner...I am currently in the process of trying to change my day off to Sunday so that we can go to church and have the rest of the day together!!
As far as Paris goes, we are loving everything that we've had the chance to see!! We still love our spot on the edge of the Jardin des Tuileries, and we enjoyed a picnic there last week. We've been exploring the St. Germain des Pres area of Paris, which is very charming and seeping with history. We celebrated France's national holiday -- July 14 (day of the storming of the Bastille prison during the French Revolution) -- with a wine and cheese picnic on the lawn in front of the Eiffel Tower! Some friends from Disney joined us for a fun but very crowded evening...
So interestingly enough, the celebration of the national holiday had nothing to do with the national holiday!! At least nothing that we experienced seemed to have anything to do with the French Revolution, but then again, it's rather a bloody and terrible remembrance. This year, the "theme" behind the national holiday was focused on the 120th birthday of the Eiffel Tower. So the entire fireworks show was actually the story of the Eiffel Tower...it was completely incredible! Light projections onto the Tower showed it being built, intricately, piece by piece. Later on, it showed the various roles the Tower has played over the years...
And that's a wrap! It was really neat to experience another country's national holiday! Funny thing I should mention though, there seemed to be more Americans than French there...hmm!
The shot with the fireworks and the eiffle tower is seriously amazing!
ReplyDelete